Research Fellow - Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics Job
Location: , , US
Company: Mayo Clinic
A Life-Changing Career
Position Summary: Our group will focus on systems pharmacology and medicine. We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join our integrative computational and experimental team to help develop and implement computational methods to analyze and integrate various high throughput datasets. Specifically, the candidate will develop methods for computational analysis of various types of high-throughput datasets to probe the function and mechanism of regulators in disease. This will include algorithms to analyze and integrate data from RNA-seq, DNA-seq, Chip-seq, proteomics, and genetic perturbation data. We are seeking a creative individual with superb computational intuition, strong computer programming skills, and a strong interest in the biological sciences. The candidate will adapt easily to changing needs and priorities of a fast-paced research environment and will work closely with other technical staff, graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and lab head in developing and applying computational and statistical methods.
Responsibilities: * Implements statistical methods and computational algorithms for analyzing large-scale datasets that are essential to the overall project success.
* Analyzes diverse data types to extract biologically relevant findings
* Distills information into biologically relevant findings which are communicated to the team in writing and/or verbally.
* Writes and oversees the development of analytical pipelines to standardize the analysis needs of the overall project.
* Analyzes experimental data and identifies methodological problems. Adjusts existing algorithms to ensure project completion in a timely fashion.
* Works directly with team leader and other lab members to refine computational methods and ensure project completion in a timely fashion.
* Works closely with experimental scientists to analyze and iterate through experimental data and designs.
* Attends team meetings to share results, plan projects and experiments, and to ensure that projects support current team goals in a dynamic environment.
* Maintains a detailed plan to ensure successful and timely completion of required tasks.
* Will help other technical staff, graduate students, and post-doctoral fellows in data analysis and computational methods as needed.
* Consults with other senior scientists or scientific literature as needed.
* Other tasks as required.
A Research Fellow at Mayo Clinic is a temporary position intended to provide training and education in research. Individuals will train in the research program of a Mayo Clinic principal investigator. Qualified individuals will demonstrate the potential for research as evidenced by their training and peer-reviewed publications and should become competitive for national research grants. Proof of English proficiency is required for J-1 Short-Term Scholars, Research Scholars, Professors, Specialists, and Student Interns sponsored by Mayo Clinic. 800146; J2WRTP
Qualifications: Must have a Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent doctoral degree in a field deemed relevant by the program. Research Fellow is appropriate for individuals who have completed no more than one prior postdoctoral fellowship, at Mayo Clinic or elsewhere.
Additional Qualifications: * Experience in an object oriented programming language (ie Perl, Java, Python) a plus.
* Experience working in analytical software packages (ie R, Matlab) a plus
* Prior experience working in biology or biomedical-related sciences a strong plus
* Familiarity with high-throughput sequencing data a plus
Recruiter: Kara Schott
Why Mayo Clinic? Mayo Clinic provides the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of the patient first. We are the largest integrated, not-for-profit medical group practice in the world with approximately 60,000 employees working in a unique environment that brings together the best in patient care, groundbreaking research and innovative medical education. We offer a highly competitive compensation package, which includes exceptional benefits, and have been recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the top 100 “Best Companies to Work For”.
Mayo Clinic is an equal opportunity educator and employer (including veterans and persons with disabilities).
Job Posting Number: 72348BR
Date: May 13, 2017
Job Segment: Genetics, Pharmacology, Medical, Temporary, Science, Healthcare, Research, Contract